Finally I'm going to do this! But I need help.

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi peoples,

I've been threatening to build a dual or triple or even 6 projector setup for a year or two now and just thought it's not the right time. I'm still unsure if it's the right time now with hdmi 2.0 on the verge of arriving on projectors.

So I'm going to buy

2x AMD r9 290x and crossfire.
2x projectors
1x curved screen

I need some help with the projectors and screen I have no idea what's the best for me.
I'm thinking 1080p for the projectors and they have to be short throw. The room is only 11" by 12" feet I can completely black it out too. Also obviously good motion blur and low input lag on the projectors.

I want to get this done in the next week or two. Cheers

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:15 am

I really do like the W1080ST. If I do upgrade during Christmas sales, it'll be to those. At issue with most multi-projector is no two designs are really the same. It's both an advantage and disadvantage depending upon how you look at it. You get something very unique, yet it requires you be a bit adventurous in the process. :)

I'd hold off till they have the aftermarket cooling variants of the R9 290 cards. They should be coming soon though. The stock fans on the 290's are holding them back.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Update:

Ive purchased the 2 BenQ W1080st projectors and a ASUS r9 290x. Unfortunately I had to purchase them from different stores and im still waiting for a w1080st and the 290x. Im quite annoyed with pccasegear they said they had stock in hand when I called them, and when I put the order through online it even changed the status to ships within 24hr because I got the last w1080st. The other projector arrived last Thursday and has been terrific! I tested it with a gtx 660 since I sold my 3 titans.

4th day overall review of the Benq w1080st.
Im using my previous projector the optoma gt750e as the base of my opinions. 1080p is so so much better for a start. It brightness would be similar if not better (maybe thats because of New and old). Colors are leagues appart the BenQ excells easily. Contrast is way better too. Rainbow effect is horrible on the optoma gt750e but on the w1080st its almost non existant. Only black bsckgrouns with white writing, but its not distracting and thats coming from someone who is fussy. Whilst gaming I saw no issues. I had no issues with the zoom or focus and I was usibg it on a wall. Once I make the screen im sure the image will pop even more. Oh and input lag was fine. I tried cod online with my pc and I was able to get some kills. Its qouted as 24ms of input lag but if I didnt know id say it was less. Oh 3d movies are awesome. My only concern is a hdmi 2.0 version will arrive next year capable of 120Hz and full 1080p 3d vision.

The other projector will get here tomorrow and ill post more

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm

On a Dual projector setup how much overlap should I allow for to make a good image blend? What would the ratio be?
Im thinking I may buy a thin sheet of perspex. I can get a sheet in 2.44m by 1.22m and im wondering how much/ if any i have to cut off the 1.22m measurement. Also should I paint or put a film on the perspex? Should I get white or clear? thanks

Postby BHawthorne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 am

Awesome, I'm really wanting two W1080ST myself to replace my GT720. Yep, I used to run ArmA II a lot on my setup. I have ArmA III but not got much time in yet. :)
BHawthorne

Return to Project Build Logs