[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4744: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4746: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4747: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4748: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
NTHUSIM • View topic - Nephilims Virtual Simulator..

Nephilims Virtual Simulator..

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby The_Nephilim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm

The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Good to hear from you again. I look forward to helping out on the build. I've not flown BMS much lately but I've been flying DCS. I recently picked up one of the VRpit seats from Flim on the Eagle Dynamics forums. I need to get motivated on getting it built. That'll be one of my big projects in the next few weeks. :)

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes Good to see your still using your setup too.. So lets jump to what material I should consider using for my Screen??

I was thinking either make it out or sections with 1/4" Plywood and use a Regualy Home Theater screen over it, I can get custom size screen from DaLite..

Or I could use some sort of Smooth material and use either screen goo like I did with my current setup or try the New "Black Widow" mixture that is all the rave over at AVS Forums..

What do you think I should use that is both cost effective, easy setup??
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm

The thing I've constantly found with traditional screen material is that it doesn't like to conform to a curve or conform to a really wide span. I've also tried using 3M adhesive to apply screen material to plywood backing and it turned out bad because the adhesive did not want to adhere uniformly and formed air pockets over time because the wood backing allowed air in from the wood breathing. Maybe if the wood was sealed and primed before application that might address some of that. I think if you end up using a traditional screen material that you'll have to tension it on the edges probably by stapling it to the reverse side of the material you're stretching it to.

Right now I'm leaning towards recommendation of a screen paint of some type merely because of the negative properties of screen material in this type of design. So far I've never been truly happy with any traditional screen material in this sort of setup because all samples I've experimented with have exhibited at least one or two negative characteristics. Bowing under tension, ripples, non uniform tensioning or air pockets. At issue is I've been so focused down on experimenting with screen material samples that I've yet to gain any personal experience with screen paints.

At best I can only give second hand information about screen paint in relation to DIY AV forums using it on flat screens. This might be where your build could help the sim community by giving new insight on screen paints through experimentation. I wish I could be more helpful and insightful on screen paint, but it's something I've really not had a chance to properly get experience with yet.

At this point I would suggest thin plywood or MDF sheet with a lumbar frame. Mud and sand the screen surface joints as needed for a uniform finish. Then prime and paint it with a DIY AV screen paint formula such as Black Widow. If you can find sheet material in 144" width so you can have an uninterrupted screen surface that would be preferable. 144" is the widest I've been able to find source in the US so far when looking around. Not sure where you're located, so no idea if that is possible in your area.

Even though I've been revising my screen builds since 2009, I still consider what I have right now to be experimental and not ready as a consumer design. Most of that is to do with screen material negative characteristics in this sort of configuration. I really think screen paint might be the best answer for now.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:38 am

Well After Sticker Shock of the cost of the 3 new Projectors, Video card and cabling I am retiring this VERY EXPENSIVE Idea..
I still may make a Curved screen so thoughts on that are still good. I may still need nThusim If I go with a curved screen..

At this point I just don't know..
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 am

Understandable. The cost of entry into these builds is still quite steep. It's the main reason why I went single video card AMD Eyefinity 2x1 and two projectors instead of 3 in my current build. Trying to keep most costs down. It's also why we're developing for the Oculus Rift too. The cost of entry into immersive visuals can also be addressed for some that way. I'm still more of a fan of full simpit plus projection though.
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 am

The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:56 am

BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Hmm Do you have a link to Flims setup I would like to take a gander..
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:16 am

He has a whole thread on it including YouTube videos. The YouTube videos are really cool. PeterP did the lua camera scripting for it. There are ways to improve upon his design but at this point it was the most visually interesting DCS implementation I've seen. Flim is now really into Oculus Rift though and has since then moved on to a Rift build. Flim is really approchable though so you could probably pick his brain directly about the build on the ED forums. I know he has an account here, but I don't know if he's on much. :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=90731

-Brad
BHawthorne

Next

Return to Project Build Logs