[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
NTHUSIM • View topic - Golf/ Racing simulator setup

Golf/ Racing simulator setup

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:14 am

All,

After much searching, I think i am finally in the right forum.

Looking to do a 2 or 3 projector setup that will produce an 20 ft x 10 ft image approx.

I am currently debating the following

1- 20 ft wide flat screen (easiest)
2- 3 screen angled (more difficult)
3- Curved screen (most dificult)

I anticipate getting a Matrox card to run this at 1080.

Obviously the curved screen looks to be the coolest, but to do one in this material and this size seems like a massive undertaking-- any thoughts?

Would 3 x 1080 projectors running 3-4k lumens be enough to fill such a large screen without looking like crap?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 am

Photos
Attachments
Surround Golf Simulator setup.jpg
Surround Golf Simulator setup.jpg (177.26 KiB) Viewed 18348 times
Golf Simulator setup.jpg
Golf Simulator setup.jpg (142.14 KiB) Viewed 18348 times

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 am

I'll look at the math a bit later today and see how it works out. I'm a bit weary of projection height taller than 5 foot because of pixel size. My main question would be how far back from the screen would the viewer/participant be?

I'm a bit hesitant with the idea of 3-4k lumens spread over 10 foot tall. The screen properties can somewhat compensate if you have total control over the ambient light for the room. Something that size I would fabricate with lumber and ply then paint a screen paint to keep the costs from spiraling out of control for screen material. The main unknown for me is how the golf simulator works. It's mechanics will affect decisions on the screen design.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:32 am

The participant will likely be 10-12 ft from the screen. The golf launch monitor will not interefere with the projectors.

this is what i am looking into getting

I have about 18 ft of throw if needed.

These folks have done it, trying to replicate it without spending 60k like they charge.

curve

3 panel

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:00 am

Interesting setup. Definitely looks fun. I know a golf simulator has been done a few times with Nthusim Plus. I'm trying to remember the customer. I think he posted a few pics of his screen. It was a wide 20+ foot with a curve.
BHawthorne

Return to Project Build Logs