NVIDIA 3D Vision Suround in 2013

Your projector questions can be answered here.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:22 am

So we are in 2013 and what projector options do we have for NVIDIA 3D Vision Suround?
I'm trying to work out what projectors i should get for my nvidia surround 3d gaming setup. Im liking the look of these LED projectors.

Below is a list of new projectors ive found but i can not confirm if they work with 3D Vision or just that silly useless 3D TV Play.

AAXA LED Showtime 3D
http://www.aaxatech.com/products/led_sh ... jector.htm

Viviteck Qumi Q5 LED
http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail ... duct_id=75

ACER H6510BD
http://www.picopros.com/article/acer-in ... and-movies

ACER H5370BD
http://www.picopros.com/article/acer-la ... -projector

Please list any others you know of that are 3D Vision compatible.

Thanks

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 am

Really, anything less than 2000 lumens is not bright enough to handle room sized projection setups. If you were planning something small like a desktop rear projected screen they might work though if the lens throw can accomodate.

The only Nvidia 3D Vision Surround capable projectors I have any experience with are the Optima GT700, GT720 and GT750. I've owned the GT720 in my setup since 2010 and used about a dozen of them over the course of developing projects.

I realize the want to go LED based light engine over UHP based, but the most importatn characteristics of gaming builds are lens throw ratio and lumens rating. You need at least 2000 lumens and a short throw lens ratio of between 0.49:1 and 0.72:1.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:49 pm

I have a gt750e but i couldnt get the 3d vision working with the hack. Lucky i bought only one to test the water. i now have it mounted in the bedroom and we love it.

I got a reply from AAXA Technologies about the 3D LED Showtime projector and he said it only work in 3d with 3D VISION. In the email i sent i really did stipulate how much i hate 3dTV play and has to be 3D Vision Enabled.

Only concern now is the Lumens and the throw ratio of 1.22.

I think i will have to go mirrors and rear projection. Any ideas???

My Computer room is pretty dark and i mostly game at night so i dont think the lumens will totally affect me. also im only looking for an image of 30" diag at the most for each projector making roughly a 78" wide by 16" height image.

Is there any pre made rear projection mirror setups that can be bought? For the screen im going to go 1/2" acrylic sheet with a film suited for rear projection. what do you think?

Thanks

Postby BHawthorne » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 am

No real insight on mirrors other than they need to be "first surface" mirrors.

With 500 lumens projectors like those LED ones the room should be totally dark, not merely pretty dark. I'm a bit apprehensive about those type of projectors but someone needs to try them before any of us truly know if they'll work. It's taking a bit of risk but it would be useful information for you to test.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 am

There are a couple of companies that have projectors that might work.
i was wondering maybe they could send me a unit to test. How do you think I would go about approaching them and getting them to send me a demo unit???
Maybe you could do it Brad for the site?

Im hearing that the LED light might not be as strong on paper but it does the job. But thats only the tip of the iceberg there is still contrast, noise, heat, refresh rate, input lag, 3d ghosting etc.

I think they could be a winner but as you say its a risk and I've already been burnt by the gt750 lol.

Postby BHawthorne » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:49 am

I wish I had insight into securing demo units, but I've always had to buy my own projectors or a client would purchase them for a project.

Is it the HDMI 1.4a that changes things so it requires 3DTV play? My GT720 was regular 3D Vison kit capable and handled Nvidia 3D Vision Surround just fine.
BHawthorne

Return to NTHUSIM Standard & Plus -- Projectors