New guy with screen question

Your projector questions can be answered here.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:49 am

So I have been poking around Nthusim for a bit and I think i am ready to make the jump in creating a setup for a new space flight sim.

Currently I run Nvdia cards with 3 montiors. The setup is nice but I want a little more emersion.

I am trying to stay somewhat budget minded in all of this. So here is waht I want to do:
Create a 2 projector system with a 180 degree screen. And here lies my problem. Creating the 180 degree screen. I am not the handiest person on the planet but if I could figure out some plans I could get the help i needed to build it.

I am stumped on figureing out how big it should be. The wall I have to put it on is 6 feet wide. But how do I fiugre out screen length and height. And figure out the distance the projectors need to be away from it? Side note. Projectors are not decided on but from the 6 foot wall the screen will be on i have about 9 feet to the oposite wall. Not sure if that helps.

Are there plans for building this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Greetings, I saw your messages on the Star Citizen forums.

There are no real set plans for screen building, just a few guidelines I go by. There are around 500 DIY screens built so far and they're all different. So, there isn't any absolute screen design. It really depends upon your end-use and the size you want.

You give mention of 6 foot. That makes for a good starting point in the design. Just be mindful that 6 foot diameter screen means that it only has a depth/radius of 3 feet. That means you're going to have to be pretty close to the screen and be mindful of the projector mounting locations so you aren't seated between the projector and the screen obscuring the projection any.

One of the other users here has a screen around that size. The_Nephilim. The screen he's been using for awhile is roughly 6 foot wide but it's triple flat panel. He's in the process of designing a new circular screen.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am

I guess what I am looking for is how the curvature is decided. After talking to you a little, maybe with my size limitation 120 2 projector setup is enough. So is th 120 degrees measured from center to end of the screen?

And then I am assuming that overall height and width is decided by how far from the screen the projectors are. The farther the bigger.

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:02 am

The screen size is mostly determined by where the projectors are mounted and the lens throw for the projectors. Aspect ratio of the projectors plays into it some along with the overlap size for the edge blending.
BHawthorne

Return to NTHUSIM Standard & Plus -- Projectors