Maximum Overlap on dual projector set up

Your projector questions can be answered here.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:19 am

Hi,

I am currently building a dual projector Racing simulator and was wondering if there is a maximum amount of overlap that the software can handle?

The spec of the system are as follows:

180 deg 1.187m radius Screen
2 x Dell S300W Projectors running through a Matrox Dualhead2Go.

I am after a 1.7m height of image as the driver will be sat in a standalone mockup of a touring car. Going on the calculation from Projector Central, that would put my screen width at 2.72m. Going on that size I would have an overlap of nearly 1m.

Is that amount of overlap acceptable

Thanks

Rob

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:57 am

Nthusim requires a fixed 15% overlap. If you have extra projection width that isn't being used I typically configure that to splash out to the outer left and right of the screen. Depending upon how great of an overlap, you might use a custom resolution to fix the aspect ratio. It's a lot easier in Nvidia drivers to do that than AMD drivers though.

The main idea with pre-warping and edge blending is to just make sure you have full coverage on both sides and the 15% overlap. Also try to minimize the amount of projection height lost by mounting the projectors to optimize for that. You'll often lose projection width just because the projectors tend to be able to project wider than is needed. The projection height is important though as that really defines your overall pixel size for the setup. The less the loss of projected height on the screen outside the pre-warp area the better.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Return to NTHUSIM Standard & Plus -- Projectors