Can't get any game to 'warp'

Your projector questions can be answered here.

Postby museumsteve1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:02 am

I got it working in the end by disabling HDR in AC settings
museumsteve1

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 am

Ah, good to know what was breaking pre-warp. Every once in awhile a game will do something non-standard which will break things. I typically will turn off all settings then walk through them all until I find the issue. It's a bit time consuming, but does typically get things working again on most games.

How is Assetto Corsa lately? I've not had a chance to try it in a month or so. Anything new in the patches?
BHawthorne

Postby museumsteve1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

Assetto Corsa is excellent and quickly becoming most people's racer of choice. It looks good, plays well and gets regular updates and the devs seem to listen to the community, which is always welcome :)
I'm playing around with a curved screen after ditching my 3 PJ setup and moving to a superFOV option a few months ago but I'm not convinced I can part with nearly $300 for software that I may not use for more than 6 months as I change my projects fairly regularly. I paid the same amount for my Oculus Rift :s
Wouldn't more people look at curved screens in sims if the software was more affordable? Is there no chance of a Lite version :D

I was trying the Oculus early access HMD edition until I sold my Rift before xmas and now waiting for my DK2 which may push me away from my projector altogether for racers (that's the only games I play on PC) :)

EDIT - dont know when you last played AC but they've added nice new content and very promising AI..which is very welcome.

Sorry for going off topic
museumsteve1

Postby BHawthorne » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am

A bit of context on the pricing, back in 2007 there were no consumer pre-warping options out there for multi-projector in the consumer market. It was all military/industrial. I and a few other flight sim enthusiasts went to Immersaview to see if they could start a new consumer market for their military/industrial projector utility. Nthusim was born out of that on the MyCockpit.com forums. Back then, pre-warping software came with yearly service contracts and serious $$$. It ended up getting priced at about 10% of what the commercial version went for. It's one of those sort of things that if you're in for three projectors you're already looking at close to $3000-$4500 new depending upon what projectors used. So the price was in line with that sort of baseline cost. Compound that with the issue that this is so highly niche that we don't really sell much of it to begin with. If there isn't much quantity being sold, it tends to up the price.

We took a bit of a different tact with Nthusim HMD though. As the baseline cost is $300 for the hardware, it's setup for quantity sales -- hence the large price discount. What was $300 or $500 for projector is now $25 for HMD. It's a much more viable market to target because the hardware is standardized in the Rift and price point is in the range of most people's wallets.

My personal opinion is that the Rift is a much more viable market to develop for, but that does not diminish the fact that we were born from the racing flight simulator market. They are still the core audience for Nthusim.
BHawthorne

Postby museumsteve1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

I did some proper testing tonight, built a mock-up screen and spent time testing a couple of warping options with a few racers. The end result is the single PJ option just doesn't do the games justice as it loses too much pixel density and on top of that only Assetto Corsa (that I use) has the triple screen adjustment which could be a saviour for curved screens. Unfortunately I wont put all my eggs in one basket so I've decided curved is not for me right now. As I ditched 3 PJs to go to one short throw for superFOV I'm not really interested in buying more projectors again :D
If the software was $50 (not just nThusim) I'd probably have bought it to play around more and even build a rig where I could drop a curved screen in and out for messing around
museumsteve1

Previous

Return to NTHUSIM Standard & Plus -- Projectors