2 projectors + 1 monitor setup questions before purchase

Your projector questions can be answered here.

Postby matnor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Hello,

A question before I purchase the NTHUSIM Plus license.

I would like to have the following setyup and I wonder if it is supported.
2 projectors for on-wall projection (visual, out the window)
1 monitor for instruments and other

If I use Nvidia cards, the setup will not be 2d surround/spanned!
If I use AMD cards, the setup CAN be spanned/Eyefinity, however, the MONITOR will not display a warped/blended image because it will show the instruments. Is this supported?

Prepar3d/FSX:
To my understanding, I can run this in Windowed mode and have the two left displays (projectors) showing the out the window visuals, and move the instruments to the third display (monitor). Is warping on this setup supported?
I have a second computer that CAN display instruments, however, it would require licenses for two computers.

DCS World:
To my understand, I can run this in Full screen mode and have the two left displays (projectors) showing the out the window visual and show the instruments (with HELIOS) on the third display (monitor).

X-plane.
This is another story, I would plugin a second computer to show the instruments. I have a second computer that CAN display instruments, however, it would require licenses for two computers.

Any advice on how to setup my system is appreciated.

What I have is a cylindrical wall, with two short throw projectors that will present the visual system on the wall.
I would like to present instruments and other things on a monitor (touch screen enabled) that will be in front of the pilot.

In the future, I will build a HUD, that will generate the HUD (in DCS this is enabled by "spanning" three or more screens).
To my understanding this is how DCS does it:
Four spanned/eyefinity displays:
Display 1 - projector
Display 2 - projector
Display 3 - monitor
Display 4 - monitor

I then tell DCS to present the MAIN out the window visuals on pixels shown on display 1 and 2. The instruments to be shown on the display 3 and the HUD information can be shown on Display 4.
matnor

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:32 am

A quick question before we get too far into talking configuration -- will the third display (monitor) being used for instrumentation be able to lock the same resolution as the projectors? Do you want to run it as a triple-span as projector-projector-monitor? Or is the monitor being ran as an extended display running a third party instrumentation add-on utility?

You can run the setup as a triple-span, configure Nthusim Plus still for triple and just use no correction on the third display. I'm not a fan of running FSX in windowed mode because you lose a lot of hardware acceleration and capacity. You can run windowed mode though if you choose and Nthusim even supports removal of the window user interface in the Tools portion of the utility.

A fundamental concept of how Nthusim works is that it requires a spanning mode on the projectors though. If you are unable to span them, Nthusim Plus can't treat the projectors as a single view and configure them. Alternately, you can use something like Wideview and multiple licenses of Nthusim Standard.

DCS World, yes if you have the outside visuals in a span and Helios on a extended display.

Because you're hopping around with several different configurations, my suggestion is to go AMD Eyefinity. You simply aren't going to be able to do something like that as flexibly with Nvidia. I use the ASUS R9 280X Matrix cards with 6 ports. I can do about any spanning variation because of the 6 port capability.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby matnor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks for the reply. You do a great job.

Yes, if I can, I will span the three displays (projector-projector-monitor, they are all 1920x1080). I need AMD for this. I have two brand new GTX 780 for sale :)

So, I will span the three displays. Edge blend between display1-display2 and leave display3 as it is (not warped/not blended). Correct?
Then, inside Prepar3d/FSX (in fullscreen), I can arrange the views as desired on these three displays? Correct?
matnor

Postby matnor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:32 am

Also,
If I purchase NTHUSIM, please promise you will add desktop warping and release a new version ASAP :)

Will purchasing now give me access to NTHUSIM 4.x?
matnor

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:17 am

Yes, you can do projector-projector-display and span all three. There are some small catches that might be at issue depending upon how you go about it though. Also, it's very hit or miss whether you might encounter a polarity issue with the setup. In rare cases the monitor might have a reversed polarity compared to the projectors, so Nvidia won't allow the span. Nthusim doesn't know the difference between three projectors and two projectors and a LCD. You can do it that way using Nthusim, but the second edge blend that you don't need might need some minor tweaking to make it look right. This way of doing it can be done on both Nvidia and AMD as it's a triple-display span. If you throw any variation in like 2x1 span + 1 extended that's going to require AMD Eyefinity though. Nvidia is very limited on it's options.

I think you'll be happily surprised soon on desktop. ;)

We have always supported Nthusim users with free updates since version 1.0. No matter when you have purchased Nthusim, you'll always be able to keep up to date.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby matnor » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Sounds excellent. Please standby for product activation. :)
matnor

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 am

Should be all set for license activation.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Return to NTHUSIM Standard & Plus -- Projectors