X-Plane - 3 Projectors - Blend & Warp - Suggestions

Have questions about purchase or activation of NTHUSIM?

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:02 am

We currently run 4 PC's with three projectors (1 control computer, 3 program to projectors). We would like to get this down to one beefed up computer and came across this software.

Is this possible to run all three projectors and warp and blend on one PC?

How long is the trial good for and are there restrictions?

Any recommendations on video card an different types of projectors? We built an IMax type wrap around screen for this.

If I missed anything or am vague please let me know.

Thank you.

Postby BHawthorne » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Greetings,

Could you tell us in a bit more detail the configuration of the screen? Dimensions, intended projector mounting configuration?

Most of our customers use 2 or 3 projectors on a single computer, so it's done often to run X-Plane on a single computer with three projectors. You must use a modern video card that enables AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround mode as a basis for the spanning Nthusim will handle the edge-blend and warp calibration to the screen geometry.

The demo mode for Nthusim is unlimited but needs to be restarted every 10 minutes. We do not disable any of the features in our demo mode. Use it as long as you like until you are happy with the calibration results. The idea is to use it as long as needed in demo mode and get everything setup properly before buying.

Personally, I prefer Nvidia for flight simulation. I currently use a GTX1080 on my current setup and am quite happy with the results. My current recommendations would be GTX980, GTX980ti from previous generation or GTX1070 or GTX1080 from current generation. I expect Nvidia to release a GTX1080ti soon also.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 am

The screen is 10' H x 29' W and the Projectors would be mounted approx 10' (3 projectors).

The projectors mounted now are being replaced, they did not provide a good image. This is why I was wondering about different suggestions on projectors.

Any benefit from the 1070 vs 1080 Nvidia? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_20161229_105257.jpg
Picture of Screen
IMG_20161229_105257.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 5005 times

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 pm

1070 vs 1080 is about GPU performance overhead. Running 5760x1080 resolution using a span of three projectors is taxing on the GPU. I always go the single best video card I can reasonably afford in my computer builds. Previously I used 980ti and I currently use 1080. It's a qualitative issue, so there is no right answer to this. There will always be a new video card series being released by AMD or Nvidia every 12-16 month cycle.

Personally, I prefer Optoma or BenQ brand short-throw lens projectors. They're a known quantity to most home simulator builders. The models most commonly used in the last few years are the Optoma GT1080 -- it has a lens throw ratio of 0.49:1 and has a good baseline cost, or the BenQ W1080ST or HT1085ST -- they have a zoom lens and are also short-throw 0.83-0.61 lens throw ratio. You have a bit more flexibility in mounting location with the BenQ because of the variable zoom. The Optoma can be put closer to the screen because of it's shorter lens throw. Both reasons have merit. Also, BenQ and Optoma are most likely going to have new product offerings at CES in january. The main thing to look for is that the projector is 1080p native and has a lens thorw that is shorter than 0.83:1. I personally use the GT1080s on my setup and am reasonably happy with them.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Return to Purchase, Activation & Account Support