Youflyinternational projector setup

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 am

At :18 shows only 1 projector, yet three large blended screens. This is awesome. http://www.youfly.nu/

Watch on youtube.com

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:35 pm

They have one projector per wall panel, making for 4 projectors per sim. Left, front, right and top. Note in the pictures I grabbed there is a 0.32:1 ultra short throw on end and an Epson laser-LED hybrid projector mounted over it. The pictures don't reveal the mounting locations for the side panel projectors but they're most likely mounted back a ways long throw and at an angle. The angle corrected by pre-warping.

They could have done a bit better with their pre-warp alignment on the panels. Notice the terrain miss-alignment. Not a bad setup, but anyone with $3000 can replicate the visual system. ;)
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Here is an example of a home build that does the exact same thing using DCS World. If you're interested in building something similar I suggest using Optoma GT720 or GT750 like in the video below. The person who built the setup below is named Flim on the Eagle Dynamics forums. PeterP there assisted with the custom display configuration.

Watch on youtube.com
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Brad

Thanks for showing that DCS setup. That's precisely what I'm looking at creating. Is that setup using nthusim plus?

Is there a way to further smooth out the screen corners where the image becomes "blurred" ? Is that caused my improper overlap percentages?

Thank you

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 pm

In the case of your original video and Flims build, I think none of them used advanced pre-warping to align the panels. I think they used built-in projector keystoning. That would account for the misalignment and blurring issues. You can dial in the corners to pixel tolerance with pre-warping.

You could probably do a bit better with 0.82:1 short throws for the sides and center. Mount the projectors behind the screen and have a lens opening for the side projectors. 0.72:1 lens throws like those GT750's he's using mounts the projectors in the projection area -- which you might not want. The top view is achieved by bouncing the projection off of a small first surface mirror angling it at the ceiling.

Nthusim Plus only does up to 3 displays, but we do case by case exceptions and sometimes non-commercial license Immersaview Warp to home builders at the same cost if the scope of their build requires a bit more configurable options. In a case like this we'd need Immersaview Warp to handle it because of the screen panel count of 4.

Feel free to pick my brain a bit. I have fun designing stuff like this. :)
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Very informative. Thanks. Ill be in touch regarding the 4:1. I'm about 5 weeks or so away from my project visuals.

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Spartan wrote:Very informative. Thanks. Ill be in touch regarding the 4:1. I'm about 5 weeks or so away from my project visuals.

Sounds good. Take your time and feel free to ask questions. It looks like a fun project. :)
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Return to Project Build Logs