Nephilims Virtual Simulator..

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby The_Nephilim » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Yes I am aware of this I am just wondering how they get the cockpit wrapped around you like you are sitting inside it a bit closer to reality that I want to emulate..

So then it is just a FOV Edit?? I tried that but it still just showed the front part..

I am also looking into a Collimated setup, I was wondering if it would be needed with the 3D Setup I have and would there be a benefit for a single seat plane??

I am also looking into a Motion Simulator.. I have saw a good DIY Setyp but it still cost about 3grand for the actuators minust the platform that I would need to Fabricate.. But I still need to do it for so much less then 3grand.. but that is a far away Project..

I am really considering building a collimated display but not sure If I need one.. I do know the multi million dollar simulators use them so maybe there is a benefit I am unsure?? What do you think of a Collimated screen??
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 pm

None of the things we use is really needed. It's more a matter of want and interest in DIY.

Gene Buckle is the go to guy for collimated. He's also an NTHUSIM user.

I've seen some wiper motor motion actuated setups that are cost effective. Might look into that.
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:33 pm

Well I do realize that but What I ment is will this be a better solution that a Fron screen??
After I asked this I did some searching and what I was looking for is with my current setup I use NVidia 3D Vision so I was under the impression a Collimated display would not be of any benefit..

But in this article it mentioned a Collimated screen and 3D is Highly desirable so my answer has been answered and I just need more detail on how to build it..

I am trying to contact Gene through simhq and hopefully he will reply and give me some much needed help.. here is the article I talked about:

http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/3d ... ation.aspx

This is going to take a while and maybe not at all it all depends on If Gene will help me ;)
The_Nephilim

Postby The_Nephilim » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:17 am

Well I just been informed by Gene that the bits used inscreen are patented and do not expire until 2017.. This is a major monkey wrench so that means NO SCREEN for me..

Guess I'll go back to trying to build one like a Titan..
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:37 pm

Personally, I think you could use a trackir for positional tracking and keep with your stereoscopic 3D for depth and you'd get the same benefits. Only thing collimated really does is give a sense of position perspective change. You can probably get trackir to do similar if you told it to only track positional changes.

The problem with collimated that Gene will tell you is that it requires vacuuming down the mylar, which can be insanely noisy depending on what you use.
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Yes I am thinking that noise is a real killer for the project.. I do have a TrackIR and use it all the time in the flight sims..
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 am

In a related topic, I just purchased an Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit for cheap on the EVGA forums. Someone sold me a good as new kit for $50. Just checked the kit and it's so unused everything still has the anti-scuff plastic wrapping on everything. Now just to compare it to my 3D Vision 1 Kit. I hear the version 2 glasses are supposed to have better brightness and contrast.
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Well I did locate a website that sells collimated displays for gamers.. I emailed them and told them my specs and just waiting for a price (Gulp) .. ;)

Hopefully it will be within reason for mere mortals..
The_Nephilim

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:25 pm

99% of the time if it's not DIY it's ungodly expensive. :lol:
BHawthorne

Postby The_Nephilim » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Do you think a Collimated display is a good setup for fast jet planes like the F15C?? I am wondering now since I been reading about them..
The_Nephilim

PreviousNext

Return to Project Build Logs