Warp and blend software for curve screens

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby windturbin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 am

It's the whole front to around 18 foot or so. Fits the car trailer length almost perfectly. Currently it's in storage for the winter. At the moment it's mounted to a car trailer. Plan is to weld up a cradle for it and put it on casters to move around in the shop area

Holly Moly, that is too cool! Would be unbelievable with FI gauges. Lots of gauges in that cockpit though!

those connectors on the video card are Display port there should be 3 and 1 DVI and 1 hdmi.. check the manufacturer.

Looking even closer, you are correct Sir.

Thing is HDMI is a better signal because it's digital signal. While VGA is analog. Long runs of analog VGA cabling introduces a bit of white noise into the projection signal.

Makes sense, actually, there is one out iof the three projector that shows white noise on a white background.The reason why I thought only the VGA would work for me is because when I first hooked up my projectors I went DVI-D from TH2GO device to HDMI projector input and the projector did not recognize my PC. Then I noticed "PC" written right below the VGA input and thought well I guess that's the only way. Yes, will eventual correct this!

Thanks Guys for help!
windturbin

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 am

Holly Moly, that is too cool! Would be unbelievable with FI gauges. Lots of gauges in that cockpit though!

Yep, I was grinning ear to ear like a little kid when I first got it. Pondering doing a mock-up main instrument panel fitted with a LCD behind it to limit physical gauge costs. I'll probably revisit real gauges later on though, implementing them one by one in the original main instrument panel over time. Sim Skunkworks makes a good TacPack enabled P3D aircraft for the F-84F. I just wish DCS World had an F-84F. It's a bit of a niche aircraft when it comes to sim add-ons, but the cockpit is a lot of fun. Looking at all the 50's era cockpits the F-84F was ahead of it's time for things like throttle ergonomics and panel layout.

Looking even closer, you are correct Sir.

Yep, with a triple-span using Nvidia Surround direct form the video card you'd use 1 DVI port, 1 HDMI port and 1 DisplayPort with an "active" dp-to-hdmi adapter. All three feeding HDMI ports on the projectors. The key to getting that third display enabled is using an "active" adapter, not a "passive" one. They sale both kinds, but typically only bundle "passive" with video card purchases. You might of been using a "passive" adapter previously, making it so that third display wouldn't send a signal.

Makes sense, actually, there is one out iof the three projector that shows white noise on a white background.The reason why I thought only the VGA would work for me is because when I first hooked up my projectors I went DVI-D from TH2GO device to HDMI projector input and the projector did not recognize my PC. Then I noticed "PC" written right below the VGA input and thought well I guess that's the only way. Yes, will eventual correct this!

Thanks Guys for help!

Something to think about in the future. IMHO, if it's working now enjoy it. Half the battle with simpits is many people spend 90% of their time building and never flying. You're to a point where you can enjoy it. I say use it and tinker with refinements little by little over time, but prioritize enjoying actually flying it. :)

No problem on helping. It's why we're here.

-Brad
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby windturbin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:52 am

Yep, with a triple-span using Nvidia Surround direct form the video card you'd use 1 DVI port, 1 HDMI port and 1 DisplayPort with an "active" dp-to-hdmi adapter. All three feeding HDMI ports on the projectors. The key to getting that third display enabled is using an "active" adapter, not a "passive" one. They sale both kinds, but typically only bundle "passive" with video card purchases. You might of been using a "passive" adapter previously, making it so that third display wouldn't send a signal.

On second thought, after spending more time, etc, etc........

My make shift projector extensions are not rigid enough and my projector placement could still be better. Mainly the center projector is not projecting the exact same image size as the other two because it needs to be moved back a bit.

So, I have talked to my welder friend ordered the correct aluminum I need to get rigid and better projector placement. With the new placement I may have to have longer cables, might be a good time to go ahead and go HDMI to projectors while I am at it.

I am a visual type guy, could you please confirm Brad that this is correct.?......

So I would need these cables....

1) HDMI-DVI
1) HDMI-HDMI
1) Display Port-HDMI

Does it matter which cable goes to projector 1 2 or 3 ?

The key to getting that third display enabled is using an "active" adapter, not a "passive" one

Active / passive adapter ? This has me stumped :oops: Me know understand :oops: What is an active adapter? Please throw a dog a bone :)
windturbin

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:12 am

Sure thing, I'll make a diagram in the next day or so on how to do the cables directly from the video card.
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby windturbin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:25 am

That would be fantastic. But don't want you to have to go through that much trouble. When I said I am a visual kinda guy, I was showing you how I interpreted what you wrote before I purchased more cables. I guess is was not correct?
windturbin

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 am

It's 90% correct. The DP to HDMI needs clarification in the diagram to ensure you're using an "active" displayport to HDMI adapter to plug the cable into at the video card side.
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby windturbin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:52 am

Ok great, I look forward to seeing it! Thanks!
windturbin

Postby The_Nephilim » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm

BHawthorne wrote:It's 90% correct. The DP to HDMI needs clarification in the diagram to ensure you're using an "active" displayport to HDMI adapter to plug the cable into at the video card side.

Hi Guys,

I always thought that with a Digital connector you do not need a Active connector only when going to VGA does it need to be an active cable or resolutions higher then 1920x1080 per single screen??
The_Nephilim
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:05 am

It's been my experience to always use active adapters. I've never used a passive dp to hdmi adapter on either AMD or Nvidia.
BHawthorne
Product Manager
Product Manager

Postby windturbin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:01 am

ok, I did a search.....

How to
What is the difference between a passive and active DisplayPort converter?

When you convert video from a source that uses DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI (for example, a computer to a monitor), you will need to consider the difference between passive and active adapters.

If the source supports dual-mode DisplayPort (also known as DP++), then you can use a passive adapter because the source can perform the conversion. If the source does not support DP++, then you need to use an active converter, which includes additional chips to perform the conversion.

Thunderbolt ports support DP++ natively. To run multiple monitors from the same computer, please see the Active Adapters section below.

Passive Adapters

Passive adapters are less expensive since they do not need to include additional chips. A quick way to check whether you can use a passive adapter is to see if the DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort source has the DP++ symbol above it. The symbol is a D with a P inside of it, with two + signs to the left, one on top of the other.

Active Adapters

Active adapters use additional chips to make the conversion inside the adapter, regardless of whether the source supports DP++. This means that active adapters are more expensive than passive adapters.

If you want to use multiple monitors with the same computer, you should use an active adapter because some video cards cannot run the maximum number of monitors while using DP++. This is especially true if the computer has more than one DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort connection. Check with your video card manufacturer to confirm which type of adapter you need for the setup that you would like to run.

So now I understand, in my layman's terms, the difference between passive and active is additional chips in the ends of the inserts for pushing signal through cable? Better quality? When hearing the word adapter, I was thinking an additional pcs of hardware!

So, I purchased this for Display Port to HDMI.....

25 Foot Cable- DisplayPort to HDMI
Connects a DisplayPort DP, DP++, DisplayPort++ equipped desktop or laptop computer to a HD monitor or projector

Nephilim, I will go with the DP++ just to be sure!

Still not clear, still would like to know, which cable goes to which projector, does it matter?

Again, I appreciate you guys help, this is all new to me! Am learning on the fly.
windturbin

PreviousNext

Return to Project Build Logs