Where to start projectors curved screen project ?

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 am

dureiken wrote:Thanks for your answer but according to you 2 projectors setup seems to be non usable for games ?

I don't understand this : "You account for edge blend and are accounting for the distance to a flat surface sets the minimum distance. Those are two concepts most people don't understand initially, so that is a good start."

No, 2 projector is usable in games, it's just that it can be less compatible than other configurations. Newer games tend not to have an issue, but pre-2010 games tend to be a bit more problematic. Before then almost no game developers accounted for multi-display span modes.

When a multi-projection setup is designed it has an edge blend area between projectors that is around 12-15%. In your diagram you show center overlap accounting for where that edge blend might take place. When working with measurements for lens throw, they're measured to a flat screen surface. You accounted for that in representing it in your diagram. That's how most specifications give lens throw measurement. Much like what is given in Projector Calculator Pro on the projectorcentral.com site.
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 am

And I did well or not? :-P

I only play to dcs and bf4 and maybe new game. I can go with 2 vp.

What would you change on this sketch? More radius ? Different setup ?

Thanks

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

dureiken wrote:And I did well or not? :-P

I only play to dcs and bf4 and maybe new game. I can go with 2 vp.

What would you change on this sketch? More radius ? Different setup ?

Thanks

Yes, it did well IMHO. Of my screens designs, I've liked the 2013 design the best so far. Sure there are refinements to it I'd do, but overall I like an Eyefinity 2x1 setup. In my particular case I'd upgrade from Optoma GT720 1280x800 projectors to BenQ W1080ST or Optoma GT1080. Then I'd change materials used to fabricate the screen and screen frame. When I did that screen it had two main criteria -- #1 being that it had to be portable and #2 being it had to be made out of materials I could find at Home Depot or had sitting around from previous builds. That ended up making the materials used a bit less ideal than I'd prefer. I used PVC pipe, plastic trim and plywood for that design. If and when I refine the design next, I'm probably going to go back to using metal tubing and roll and weld the pieces so it's better built. That's neither here nor there really. Just me reflecting on the fact that I've done about 15 screen proof of concept builds over the last half decade and I keep on nitpicking and refining things. For a portable screen I've yet to find a screen material I'm 100% happy with. That wouldn't be an issue with a fixed screen design. I'd just fabricate with lumbar and sheeting then paint the screen surface with a screen paint after the screen is sanded and prepared for paint. There is a lot of tinkering in this sort of hobby. I pick up tricks all the time by just looking at what all the customers are up to and I tend to want to incorporate them into my designs.

DCS you should have no issue with barrel distortion after you customize the camera lua script. BF4 you'll have to contend with barrel distortion though. It's a minor annoyance, but not much you can do about it because the core of the problem is the BF4 Frostbite engine itself.

As far as the change in the design -- the projectors you end up picking will largely influence that via the lens throw measurements. Once you nail down a bit more on the projectors you want we can better diagram out things.

-Brad
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi

I think I will take BenQ1080ST.

On my sketch design I don't see how to make projectors on side instead of center where I will be

Thanks again

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 am

dureiken wrote:Hi

I think I will take BenQ1080ST.

On my sketch design I don't see how to make projectors on side instead of center where I will be

Thanks again

I'll illustrate what I mean about mounting location when I get time in the next day or so. BenQ has a bit better build quality than Optoma IMHO. The W1080ST has been on the market longer too, so it's a known entity to used users. I've been using my W1070 for the last few months and I've been happy with BenQ so far.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Actually, I'll do one better. Our parent company Immersaview just installed a racing center in Brisbane. The pictures show what two W1080ST's are capable of and general idea on mounting and screen arc configuration. The screen size can be smaller, just use a smaller radius.

http://www.immersaview.com/showcase/mxj-f1-simulator

Nthusim Plus can achieve that same setup. Immersaview Warp uses the same core as Nthusim Plus. Make note that the projectors are given sufficient space around them for ventilation and exhaust. Also make note this is the approximately 120 degrees a dual setup could easily do. With 120 degrees in mind look at the location where the racer might sit vs the edge and depth of the screen. The view is still forward facing and you do not have a maximized FOV. I think it would be really cool with 21:9 Blu-Ray content though while not gaming. The screen size is at the extreme range that I'd run 1080p at. That is a pretty tall projection height. Again, with consumer home builds I wouldn't go over 60". The racing setup shows the extreme you can go to in these sort of builds though.
BHawthorne

Previous

Return to Project Build Logs