[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4744: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4746: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4747: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4748: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
NTHUSIM • View topic - 2013 Gaming Screen Build

2013 Gaming Screen Build

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

BHawthorne

Postby Terrydew » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 am

Sorry Brad. Thought I had seen Bruce in an earlier post. Thank you very much for doing that.
Terrydew

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 am

Not sure if you noticed it or not but the left and right projectors are at different brightness. This occurred because the left projection has 1200 less hours on the bulb life than the right projection. It kind of gives you an idea of how color subtly changes over the lifetime of a projector bulb. Also that and the fact you really need to keep the bulb life uniform within a matched set of projectors. If their bulb life differs you get color variation in the span.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:07 pm

The last day or so I scrapped my current projector mounting locations for locations 2 foot closer to the screen. I was losing too much pixel density with the previous location and the screen door effect was too extreme to my liking. If I had to explain it, it was behaving like a 800x600 projector, not a 1280x800 in pixel density. The new locations are significantly better imho. I'm minimizing my pixel loss of projection splashing outside the screen area to minimums. Right now the projectors are on temporary DJ stands. Now that I know where they need to be fix mounted though I'll refabricate the back frame to match the new mounting points. No new materials are needed. I just need to cut a few of the pipe lengths shorter.

On a separate note, the more I use the current projectors the more I'm resigned in April to buying new bulbs. The uneven bulb burn in and the way the older bulb is flickering is problematic. I had a good run on those bulbs so I chalk it up to time to replace the bulb consumables with replacements. I figure that'll be $150 x 2, so that'll hit me a bit hard, but considering that is 2.5 years of use not bad I suppose. Projector bulbs are consumables. We need to treat them like that and always put aside about $15-20 a month in a bulb fund -- a bit of advice I always give out but haven't heeded personally. I'll keep on using the current bulbs till April. Right now it's only a cosmetic annoyance with white balance. I want both projectors to have uniform bulb use when I show off the screen at a convention in May though.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm

A brief update. I'm waiting on replacement bulbs from Newegg. Should be here mid-week next week. I'm anxious to have new bulbs again. I need to blow out the projectors with canned air and clean them up a bit. I'll keep the old bulbs as backup in case anything untimely happens later.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Another brief update. I now have tracking information for my new bulbs. For whatever reason they took a few days to ship them.

Picked up a few minor accessories for the Gopro Hero 3 Black camera. 3 new batteries and a charger station. I found myself going through my initial battery too fast for how i want to use the camera to do videos. Now having 4 batteries I should be able to get quite a bit of footage in one game setting now.
BHawthorne

Postby Terrydew » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Did the bulbs get lost? Looking forward to more video.
Terrydew

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Bulbs arrived weeks ago. Been caught up in side projects and getting ready for AVSIM Fancon/Cockpitfest USA 2013 event May 3-5. You'll see the screen on-site at that convention. ;)
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 am

I know a few are wanting update pics. Here is a quick random snap of the screen as of an hour ago. Be mindful that the desktop pre-warp is because of Immersaview Warp, not Nthusim. Immersaview Warp is the professional version of Nthusim that I often use with desktop.

BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I, too, will be looking forward to seeing some flight simulation projected on your screen. :D

thanks !

PreviousNext

Return to Project Build Logs