[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4744: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4746: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4747: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4748: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3870)
NTHUSIM • View topic - 2013 Gaming Screen Build

2013 Gaming Screen Build

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 am

(placeholder post for finished description)
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

So, just what is the above picture of? Did a tornado that hit my room? No, it's the start of my next screen prototype. :lol:

Design Focus:
I've focused down my build priority this time on making a cost effective Home Depot materials build that only requires standard home improvement tools to build. No exotic tubing rollers in this build. This screen is also the smallest radius screen I've done. This is fitting within a 10 foot room width with standard ceiling height. In the past I've been so focused down on merely getting a screen to work, I've overlooked it's basic functionality in a house. This design is something anyone can put into a room given a weekend of build time. This will be my primary screen for testing and YouTube video content over the next few months. If it turns out to work good I might release the build instructions in detailed form to site members.

A quick overview of it's specs...
Computer: i7 930 @ 4ghz, Windows 7 64 Pro, ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum, Zotac DP-to-Dual-HDMI Active Adapter, 2x Optoma GT720.

Screen: 10 foot wide x 5 foot deep uniform circular screen. Made of 1-1/4" PVC pipe and pipe fittings, 5mm 4x8 sheet underlay plywood, 1" plastic trim purchased in 12 foot segments cut to size, used spare Rose Brand Tendo screen fabric and black velvet I have from previous builds.

Pictures:
Projector mounting location test. Looks like this'll be a 60" projection height screen.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Just finished up my first bottom modular piece. There will also be 4 center pieces like that but the pipe fittings will be 4-way instead of 3-way. Overall it seems to be just as modular as my old pipe frame but cheaper to build and (I think) less hassle to setup because I don't have to deal with clamp fittings.

The plan tomorrow is to fabricate more of the modular pieces. If I get that far I'll work on the pvc projector mount frame extensions to the build.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Realizing I was missing the corner 4-way fittings I had to wait 2 days to get the parts from Formufit. Anyways, we have progress today on the frame. Essentially, half the screen is done. I still need to do the second half tomorrow and then work up the projector mounts. I'm optimistic I'll have those things account for in the next two days. I did an inventory of the fittings I have on hand and I'm in good shape. I just need to cut a bit more pipe and get it assembled.

BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm still building the screen frame and projector mounts. I put the screen material on finally to do a projection test. It reminds me why I don't like Rose Brand Tendo. The image is not sharp using this screen material and it has bow in the center because of it being under tension. Pondering if I should use some of my PVC screen material. Not sure if I have a run of 180" though to cover the frame. For now the screen works though.

More pics to be edited into this post in the next day or so once I import pics off of my iphone.
BHawthorne

Postby Terrydew » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Looking fwd to seeing the rest of the build. A DIY set of instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Terrydew

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm

It's slowly taking shape. I get a little more done each day. I'd guess I'm still a week off before it truly looks good.

Today the rest of the outer back frame went up in preparation of projector mounts. I'm pondering reinforcing the design a bit tomorrow. Not sure yet.

Here is a progress pic with notes on what is next on the to-do list.

Once I've used the design a bit and it's evolved enough into something I'm happy with I should have a building plan with bill of materials. All of the materials are really standard stuff. PVC pipe, 1" square plastic trim, some thin plywood. The only thing semi-exotic in the build is whatever screen material you end up getting, the projector mounts and a couple of the pipe fittings are special order. My goal in this build is to make it cost effective and something anyone can do.
BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:24 pm

BHawthorne

Postby BHawthorne » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 am

More progress done today. The projectors are mounted and the screen is configured. I need to black out the top and bottom panels and the wall areas. Then I'll call it done for now. I'm still not happy with the screen material. I'll be looking for some higher contrast material next month (when I can afford it). Rose Brand Tendo is very diffuse. It makes for a soft image but also kills a lot of contrast.

Edit: Adding in some photos as I have time to:
BHawthorne

Postby Terrydew » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi Bruce

Have a favor to ask. Could you load Aces High from High Tech Creations and post a shot from in the cockpit of a p51?

Thanks
Terry
Terrydew

Next

Return to Project Build Logs