Huge Screen Quad-Projector Build!!!

Document the build progress for your screen or computer setup.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

Hey all,

First-time poster here.
I've recently completed a big-screen build, and want to see what y'all think about my setup.

My flight simulator setup consists of a large (10 ft tall!) 180-degree cylindrical screen. I'm using four BenQ W1080ST projectors (mounted in portrait), driven from a single Nvidia Quadro K5000 graphics card (utilizing Nvidia Mosaic to make single 'monitor' from a 4x1 projector array). My computer is a custom built Windows 7 machine, with lots of RAM, an SSD hard drive, and an Intel Core i7 processor. Warping/blending is done with Immersive Display Pro. X-Plane 10 is the image generator, utilizing Fly Elise-ng's Multiview plugin to create four virtual views and render the 180-deg view.

Framerate with the Multiview plugin on is limited. I get about 25 FPS with low rendering settings. Performance monitoring tools show me that the CPU is my bottleneck, likely due to the fact that X-Plane is single threaded (they claim to use multiple cores but that's just for loading the scene, the flight engine only utilizes one core). Any suggestions for ways to improve frame rate in X-Plane 10 (with the Multiview plugin on) ??

Pictures attached!

-ZMaverick
Attachments
ZMaverick_Sim02.jpg
ZMaverick_Sim02.jpg (225.01 KiB) Viewed 16733 times
ZMaverick_Sim01.jpg
ZMaverick_Sim01.jpg (239.44 KiB) Viewed 16733 times

Postby BHawthorne » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

Looks cool. How are the temps in portrait mode?
BHawthorne

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 am

Temps aren't too bad, the cooling fan on the 1080ST does its job. One lesson learned: since I mounted the projectors with vent below the lens, the rising heat causes a Schlieren effect on the image if you don't deflect/duct the heat away from the lens.

Postby BHawthorne » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 am

I really like the idea of 4x1P or 5x1P. The 1920 pixel height is a big breakthrough in wall sized pixel density.
BHawthorne

Return to Project Build Logs